A gluten, soy, dairy, corn free cooking journey

My gluten, soy, dairy, corn free journey

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Gluten Free Pancakes - My Saturday Morning in Heaven :)

Changing years of cooking habits over night can be a mite difficult, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of some of this stuff. I've tracked down the majority of the places that corn likes to hide, and am the happy owner of 13 different flours. :) Some flours, like coconut, can be very expensive. Guys take note: bringing a girl "flours" could be most romantic. Just ask Harold.


 Anyway, yes.....pancakes. DELICIOUS ones. :)

I have come to the painful (literally!) realization that I cannot cook with any type of milk product. Both the lactose and the casein affect me in separate and joyous ways. So that leaves me pausing over most recipes, imagination whirring, trying to devise multiple substitutions for common ingredients.

Cashews make cream, almonds make milk, and coconut oil substitutes for butter nicely in cookies.Almond milk, plus some apple cider vinegar to activate the baking soda, really make these pancakes light and they had a buttermilk flavor. Wahoo!


1/2 C rice flour
4 1/2 t tapioca flour
2 1/2 T potato starch
1 T flaxseed meal (yummy and nutritious!!)
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t cream of tartar
1/4 t salt
1/4 t guar gum
1 egg
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 C almond milk (blend 1/4 C almonds and 1 C water in blender until smooth)

Mix dry ingredients in bowl, whisk wet ingredients in measuring cup. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir just until combined. Grease pan or griddle with grapeseed oil and cook over medium heat until brown and bubbly. Flip. Serve with organic maple syrup and/or fresh fruit.

It was a great way to start the morning. :)

1 comment:

  1. Ahem! I didn't see any of this delicious looking goodness on my plate yesterday morning! ;)

    Well done, Dearest. You rock, as always.

    ReplyDelete