A gluten, soy, dairy, corn free cooking journey

My gluten, soy, dairy, corn free journey

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Quinoa and Flaxseed ~ Naturally gluten free delicacies

Gluten and corn free living has really opened up new avenues of cooking delight for me. One that I've been thoroughly enjoying is the tiny quinoa grain-like seed. Interestingly enough, the Incas called it the mother of all grains and considered it sacred.

I first purchased a bag of white quinoa at my local store after enjoying the flavor of quinoa in some gluten free crackers. A couple of days later, I discovered black quinoa in the bulk section of the Boise Co-op.Since food rarely comes in black, I thought it would add some color interest to my plate. Besides, it just looked so cool in the plastic bag. :) I thought using a mix of white and black quinoa in a pilaf would be tasty, and unique looking.

To start the quinoa pilaf off I sauteed crimini mushrooms, onion, garlic, grated carrot, fresh thyme and lemon zest in some olive oil until the vegetables were tender. I stirred in the quinoa until it was coated with the oil and then poured in boiling water.

I was intending on serving the quinoa with a simple sauteed pollock fillet, but I got so involved in making the quinoa that I left the pan on high and pulverized the poor little guy when I tried to turn him. Luckily, the fish flaked beautifully and gave me the idea to make fish cakes!


I had some slices left from the almond meal and flaxseed bread I made earlier in the week. I mixed crumbles of the bread, diced onion, fresh thyme and some cashew cream with the flaked pollock and formed them into little cakes. I cooked them in a heated pan with grapeseed oil, making sure to pay attention to the heat this time!

To finish off the dish I took freshly squeezed lemon juice and fresh basil and deglazed the pan I cooked the fish in, reducing the juice. I then drizzled it over the fish cakes, serving it with a side of peas.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I recently discovered a food blog that I absolutely love. Most of the recipes are dairy and corn free, as well as being gluten and soy free. Everything I have cooked has come out perfect!

The first recipe I tried was Gluten Free Bread 2.0. Made out of almond meal and flaxseed, it is a delicious replacement for the gluten filled kind. I actually enjoy it more because it lacks the fluffy, smashy quality of wheat bread.

I was so excited to taste the bread that I was only able to wait about 3 minutes after taking it out of the oven before taking it out of the pan and attacking it with my bread knife. Some homemade mayonnaise, gluten free dijon mustard, lettuce, tomato, avocado and baked chicken topped off this delicious bread in a delicious open faced sandwich. Paired with grapes and a glass of iced tea, it was a perfect Sunday dinner.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the information about where to find quinoa. I was sharing about your blog with a coworker and she had been wanting to try quinoa herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn! I've haven't been reading blogs lately, so I'm behind on everyone's, but I just had to say that you're awesome. And I love the pics! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanks. Nothing to the caliber of yours though.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so good!!! Thanks for letting me drop in and stick my fingers in the yummy goodness. Well...you didn't exactly say I could but I did it behind your back when you were washing dishes. ;)

    ReplyDelete